Weir Farm National Historical Park (Weir Farm NHP), a National Park for Art was designated by Congress on October 31, 1990. The park is the only unit in the National Park Service dedicated to American Impressionism and one of the finest remaining landscapes associated with this genre of art from the late 1800s into the 1900s. The park welcomes approximately 40,000 visitors a year and focuses on connecting people of all ages to art, nature and historic preservation. The park is named for Julian Alden Weir, America’s most beloved Impressionist, and he and his family lived at Weir Farm seasonally from 1882 to 1919. Many art colleagues visited him here and painted numerous masterpieces of the rocky landscape and farm buildings. Followed by his daughter, artist Dorothy Weir Young and her husband, the acclaimed sculptor Mahonri Mackintosh Young, the artistic tradition continued into the late 1950s. In 1958 landscape painters Sperry and Doris Andrews bought part of the farm and ultimately protected it from developers making it a national story of historic preservation for the American public.
Weir Farm Art Alliance's Partnership with Weir Farm NHP
The Weir Farm Art Alliance is a 501(c)(3) organization that partners with Weir Farm NHP to run the Artist-in-Residence program and also helps reunite historically significant paintings and objects with the park. Visit the Donations page by clicking the button below for more information. The Weir Farm Art Alliance, previously the Weir Farm Trust, has been running the Artist-in-Residence program since 1998 and has hosted over 220 artists from throughout the United States and around the world. Additionally, WFAA owns and maintains the adjoining Weir Preserve.